-->

How to: Pick the Right Foundation Shade + Cream Contouring and Highlighting


A lot of Filipinas want fair skin. I can attest to that because I, myself have been using whitening products for the longest time.


To me, and maybe to most of us, fair skin looks fresh and clean. Not that women of color look unclean, but maybe it's just the preference for most of us.

Just like a lot of girls, I was also used to picking a pressed powder way lighter than my skin color so that I could look more radiant, there's nothing wrong about that if you prefer that look. After all, it's just makeup, there are no rules. But recently, as I am deepening my relationship with makeup (yeah, we have this intimate relationship, lol), I am becoming more inclined to match my face with the rest of my body when it comes to my foundation. I feel like, my head is floating and does not belong to the rest of my body whenever I choose a very light foundation shade.

Let me show you a recent instagram picture of mine.


Lol, see what I mean? The truth is, this foundation really matches my skin with normal lighting but its formula is not flash photography - friendly. It gave me a white cast which really looks hideous, but I posted it anyway because I was so into these lashes and flash photography just captured how amazing they are.

Anyway, moving on, mostly, our faces are lighter than the rest of our bodies so choosing the right foundation may result to a darker skin tone but you may still get that radiant look by highlighting the right parts of your face with a foundation or concealer which is a shade or two lighter than your skin tone. (just a shade or two)

Okay so let's start with undertones, there are 3 undertones:
Warm - yellow tones
Neutral - can get away with warm or cool shades
Cool - pink tones

Most of medium to dark skinned people are warm toned while very fair  people are more of the cool tones although there are always exceptions to the rule.

How to know your tone?
Disclaimer: This is not a rule of thumb but it does work on almost if not all the time.

Look at the veins on the inner side of your arm.

Green - Warm
Blue  - Cool
Bluish Green - Neutral

Here is a  an example of a foundation range. (Jordana Complete Cover 2 in 1 Maximum Coverage Foundation)
There are 12 foundation shades  but I only have 11 because I thought that the darkest shade wouldn't be too useful considering the Asian people's skin tones when I do freelancung.

without flash




with flash
A review on this foundation will be at the end of this post.

1. There's no exact shade for me here so I will pick out a light yellow toned shade and a darker yellow toned one and mix them. (I have a warm undertone.)
(Golden Beige + Golden Caramel)








I only applied foundation to one side of my face but you can hardly tell which side if not for my dark under eye circles.

This looks like a picture for an ID card, lol!!!
2. I now have the right foundation shade, but my face looks flat and I want to get that radiant skin so I'll look fresh. So I'll take the darker shade (Golden Caramel) and apply it on the areas which we normally have shadows and on areas where I want more dimension: Under the cheekbones, sides of the nose, under my chin (to avoid double chin on flash - photography), outer parts of the face.



And then take the lighter shade (Golden Beige) and apply it on the areas where I want to bring forward. : center of the forehead, tip and bridge of the nose, chin, cupid's bow and under the eyes.


2.a. .Blend the highlight and contour

3. Apply concealer if you have areas to cover and set with a sheer powder.
I am skipping the concealer today.




4. Voila!



Warning: This is a lot of makeup and I don't do this on a daily basis.
and Yes I'm wearing an ugly, orange t-shirt. Hahahaha!

I will be posting how I do a powder contour and highlight for a lighter makeup soon.


Jordana Complete Cover 2 in 1 Foundation  Mini Review

Packaging: The most convenient packaging. A squeeze tube prevents excess product coming out thus it helps me save a lot of product and is very hygienic especially on freelance sessions.

Shades: There is a wide range of shades that you can mix to match your skin tone.

Coverage: Provides what it claims. This is a full coverage foundation which can definitely be a concealer but doesn't feel heavy on and blends really well too.

Smell: Smells like cinnamon. I am not a fan of cinnamon but it does not bother me that much.

Flash Photography: friendly, choose the right shade, and you'll get amazing skin on photos. A number of makeup artists in America have been raving about this foundation when it comes to photo shoots.

Price: Very cheap at $4.99 each.

Thanks for reading.

Join me on instagram: @theyinyindiaries
Tweet me: @yein2x

Xoxo,

Yinyin